Social Media Help wanted by unions
I see ads for positions like this one more and more often these days.
Just like many other organizations, organized labor is recruiting good social media talent, and community managers. This is really not a surprise. Social media is the new frontier of communication and outreach for many organizations, and labor unions getting in the game in a big way. Check out the job description below for some insight into how they are doing so. Don’t worry, I’ve taken the liberty of helping point them out by providing some color cues.
SOCIAL MEDIA AND CAMPAIGN ORGANIZER
Job Title: Social Media and Campaign Organizer
Working America, the community affiliate of the AFL-CIO, is the fastest growing organization for working people in the country. With more than three million members, Working America recruits and mobilizes people who do not have a union on the job in support of working families’ issues.
The Social Media and Campaign Organizer will organize on social networks, and the blogosphere around a specific campaign focus. The position is a fixed-term position for 6 months from date of hire.
Reports to: Deputy Director
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES:
• Build and deepen member relationships: Maintain and promote Working America’s Facebook page and Twitter feed. Increase participation of our members, engage in discussions, and increase fans and followers.
• Blog: Write blog posts for Working America’s Main Street blog and other progressive blogs.
• Coalition Organizing: Work with coalition partners to promote campaign and organizing goals.
• Drive campaign: Working America often runs multiple campaigns simultaneously. The Social Media and Campaign Organizer will be assigned to a specific campaign, and must continue to drive that campaign as other staff are moved in different directions.
• Responsive Organizing: Monitor news and online activist communities to find and develop breaking campaign opportunities in Working America’s core areas.
• Research: Research materials for campaign site, emails and social media use.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS NEEDED:
• Demonstrated effectiveness in creating and executing social media campaigns.
• Strong background in, or strong familiarity with, the labor movement, movements for progressive social change, and political or issue campaigns.
• Commitment to editorial excellence.
• Strong background in the progressive blogosphere.
• Effective time management skills, including prioritizing and managing multiple tasks.
• Ability to stay focused on a particular task, independent of others.
• Demonstrated experience meeting tough deadlines and providing fast turn-around of quality communications and working in a high-pressure environment.
• Demonstrated ability to effectively collaborate and work well with internal and external staff at all levels.
• Demonstrated ability to be flexible and able to adapt quickly to meet project needs.
• Ability to work effectively in a team environment.
• Ability to work independently within the context of a plan.
• Excellent communication skills.
• HTML and CSS.
• Experience in online advertising.
• Washington, DC
• Full-time/Fixed-term for six months from date of hire
Competitive salary with excellent benefits package, including health care, dental, vision and 401(k); equal opportunity employer; excellent on-the-job training and opportunities for advancement.
You can apply here.
- Social Media Strategy Checkup (thehumanracehorses.com)
- A look at how social media can be used against your brand (thehumanracehorses.com)
- Just the facts: Employer use of social media on the rise (thehumanracehorses.com)
- Do You Have the Skills to Be a B2B Social Media Marketer? (e1evation.com)
- Social Media for Businesses: What You Can Expect in 2011 (businesspundit.com)
- The Future of the Social Media Strategist (pop-pr.blogspot.com)